4356 Communications Dr
Norcross, GA 30093
Saturn 5205 Operator Training
This course introduces students to the components, operation, and theory of the Saturn 5205
for particle size analysis.
At the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the basic fundamentals of sample preparation and dispersion, including sampling,
choosing an appropriate analysis liquid and surfactant, the stages of dispersion, dispersion
techniques, and sample loading.
- Understand the basic fundamentals of scattering theory, including Mie theory, particle size
distribution calculations, and Saturn operational theory.
- Be able to utilize all Saturn software menus and screens to efficiently obtain accurate and
- Know how to use the operating software to operate the Saturn and MasterTech.
- Be able to properly configure any report format, a combination of reports, and obtain analysis
information according to your laboratory requirements.
- Be able to make all user level repairs, adjustments and checks, and locate equipment problems
using the Troubleshooting section of the Operator’s manual.
- Be able to verify dispersion quality, interpret and optimize the Goodness of Fit plot.
NEEDS AND RESOURCES:
To successfully complete this course, you must:
- Have some minimal exposure to a Saturn in a laboratory environment.
- Have reviewed the Operator’s manual.
The following provided materials will help you successfully complete this course:
- Operator Training Study Guide with Lecture Presentations
- Micromeritics Thumb Drive containing presentations, relevant application notes and Study Guide
Additional Print Resources
The following publications will also be provided:
- Webb, Paul A. and Clyde Orr. Analytical Methods in Fine Particle Technology. Norcross, Georgia,
U.S.A.: Micromeritics Instrument Corporation, 1997.
- Related Application Notes and Technical Tips.